top of page

About Our Church

Holy Trinity's History 

Built as Trinity Church for the United Presbyterian Church in 1874, it became a Church of Scotland in 1929.

The building was acquired as a Catholic Church in 1973, being renamed Holy Trinity.

Catholics meanwhile worshipped in "St Mungo's" or the 'Tin Hut' in Sidney Place for many years, the earliest recollection being 1935.

Presumably before that Masses were supplied once per month from elsewhere until a resident priest arrived in the town around 1959-60. We had our own resident priest until 2008.

The Church was designed by Ford Mackenzie and built in Corncockle sandstone in Gothic style with a large rose window and steeple.

The organ is a prominent feature.

The Parish of Holy Trinity, Lockerbie also serves the church of St Luke's, Moffat.

Both are now served from St Teresa's, Dumfries, where our parish priest resides.

Lockerbie Air Disaster

21st December 1988

The plaque in the church is dedicated to the memory of the 270 victims who died on the 21st December 1988 in the Lockerbie Air Disaster.

A copy of the Lockerbie Book of Remembrance is also on display.

The Lockerbie Memorial Garden is just outside the town at Dryfesdale Cemetery on the Dumfries Road.

St.Luke's History 


St Luke's was built in 1865 as an Episcopalian Church and mainly served the summer visitors of that communion. It was deconsecrated in 1872 and became a Mechanics' Hall.


It remained as such until 1896 when it was re-consecrated as a Roman Catholic Church.

Prior to that, Mass was said in one of the hotels in Moffat for Catholics, possibly only once a month.


In 1990 the Church was refurbished and restored more or less to what it is now.


In 2001- 2003, more refurbishment was undertaken with quite extensive landscaping.


Moffat is a very busy tourist place and we welcome our many visitors-especially in the summer.


This church and community are part of the Parish of Holy Trinity, Lockerbie.

bottom of page